“tenth,” or Yorkshire tenth, ran from the Falls of Trenton,
south, to the Rancocas Creek. The second, or London tenth, began at
that point and ended at the Pennsauken Creek.
In 1694, these two tenths joined to form Burlington County,
one of the original counties of New Jersey, and its largest one.
Township was established in the London tenth in 1688, and in 1708,
Quaker Thomas Lippincott purchased 1,034 acres of land there.
The land had wooded areas with red and white oak, walnut,
maple, and other trees. Cleared land produced fine vegetables and orchards of apples,
pears, and peaches. Berries
were cultivated and became noted New Jersey products, especially
blueberries and cranberries. New
Jersey became known as The Garden State.
Dairies and merino sheep were also a part of the rural scene
in this area.
A History of the Land, continued . . .